Dr. Charles Allen Stillman rented property at two separate locations before purchasing this house for Stillman College (then Stillman Institute) in 1881. The house was divided into two large classrooms, one small classroom, and a fourth small room that served as a library. The college remained at this location nearly 16 years [1881-1897], serving as a training site for African-American Presbyterian ministers from all over the South. Dr. William H. Sheppard, an 1887 graduate of Stillman College for whom the college library is named, completed his studies at this location. The Historic Stillman House (HSH) is the oldest existing historic building representing the college’s earliest period of development. It’s hard to imagine that this wooden frame house located at 1008 21st Avenue would lay the foundation for the beloved institution now located at 1600 Stillman Boulevard, now known as Stillman College.
One hundred years later in 1981, the Stillman House was restored to reflect its original vernacular Victorian cottage architecture with Eastlake detailing. The house is included in the Druid City Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. In 1982, the City of Tuscaloosa deeded it to the National Alumni Association of Stillman College, Incorporated. The National Alumni Association of Stillman College Incorporated owns this property. In October 2006, the Restoration Committee for the Stillman House actively began pursuing funds to restore this historic landmark. In March 2007, the City of Tuscaloosa awarded the National Alumni Association of Stillman College Inc. a grant in the amount of $100,000.00 toward these efforts.
The National Alumni Association of Stillman College Inc. is very proud of this rich history of ours and would like for all alums, current and future, as well as friends of the college to share in this valuable history as well. The National Alumni Association of Stillman College Inc. would also like to extend an invitation to all alumni, current Stillman students, and the Tuscaloosa Community to visit the HSH. The HSH is a part of Stillman College History, City of Tuscaloosa History, Black History, American History and World History.
Dr. Charles Allen Stillman
The National Alumni Association of Stillman College Inc. would also like to extend an invitation to current Stillman students to journey through a place that help educate young African-Americans not too different from them over one hundred years ago. The National Alumni Association of Stillman College Inc. feel as though if Stillman students have a better understanding of where they came from, they will have a much better sense of where they want or need to go. This bond will help link the past to the future and provide a layer of understanding to young minds yearning for greatness like those that came before them.
The National Alumni Association of Stillman College Inc. is responsible for the monthly expenses and maintenance associated with this property. As alumni, friends and supporters of the College , we need your financial support to continue to preserve this historic landmark. Please consider making a donation below today!